Tuesday, August 30, 2005

0 for three 4

So Chain went up to the Chesapeake Open this weekend. As expected we lost in the finals 15-14 to Ring. We definitely had some chances to take control of the game, but we didn’t really capitalize. Games against Ring really seem different to me than games against other teams. They’re just SO physical, I generally feel like I’ve been beaten up after I’m done playing them.

Anyway, all and all it was a decent weekend for us. We finally got the DoG off of our backs, absolutely crushing them, 15-14, in the final game of pool play. They were missing a few key players – unfortunately the absence of both Jim and Alex really cuts down on the potential cross blog schmack talk. I fully expect to read about it if they should get some revenge this weekend in Santa Cruz. Come to think of it, I haven’t had a lot of success against the other members of the frisbee blog world. Lukegot the better of us several times back in his Sockeye days, andIdris and Jam worked us over a few times as well. Thankfully, we were able to sneak past Zaz and Machine this weekend, which is good because it’s important to keep these upstart bloggers in their place.


Random Thoughts/Notes on the Weekend

*It’s kind of depressing to see former Chain players being big factors on other teams – Barrett (DoG), Brooks (Ring), Joel (Pike), Timmy (Machine), were all there this weekend – come back to Atlanta!
*When you stop doing something a lot you stop being good at it – I swear I used to be able to jump and play respectable defense – a summer league wasted playing dump has ruined my usual practice jumping for garbage passes, and two seasons of offense has me thinking “there’s always next point” when we turn it over.
*When we signed up for the Chesapeake Open we were promised “the sweetest fields on the East Coast.” The fields were something other than sweet, but the tournament was fine because there was plenty of water and the format wasn’t crazy. That’s really all I ask for in a tourney – water and a reasonable format.

Random Thoughts/Notes on the Blog
*You sent me a question – I haven’t answered it – sorry, I’m lazy…I’ll get around to it eventually. Some of these questions are pretty damned involved. I’m not sure I feel qualified to answer them. Of course that won’t stop me from making something up…I’m just saying.
*Wood – where have you gone? Come back and post again.

5 comments:

Alex de Frondeville said...

Woo-hoo! First comment! Well, even though I didn't go to the tournament, I felt compelled to review it over here.
Unfortunately, Chain is no longer the Phil Mickelson of ultimate (although I still have never lost to them/you...). We're running out of respectable teams that have this label. And unfortunately, we were moved out of the Chain pool this weekend, so it will be tough to rematch, and yes, I will be at this tournament. Looks like Doublewide will get their chance to remove the Mickelson stigma in Santa Cruz. Looking forward to playing the big iron this weekend.

Luke said...

does this make goat the greg norman? or is golf the wrong model. are they the flock of seagulls of ulty?

i'd like to think that in 1996 we (chain) dallied w/ adequacy/competency if not outright respectabillity. then the diaspora, as most of the players you mentioned moved w/i a year...

look chain, you are apparently going to have to nut up against rainng of farr. i would think the 15 guys w/ 30 plus verticals could just dunk it... or is this like my local friend who claims to still be throwing down the volley ball who i sky daily... usually while bellowing "GET THE VOLLEYBALL GET THE VOLLEYBALL" (i don't know how high I can jump anymore in any sort of absolute sense)...

i'm not o-fer anyone... but i was when i played for chain.

Seigs said...

Who will win the race to post the first Santa Cruz write-up?

Jim and Al seemed to have better things to do today, too...

Don't keep the fans waiting...

Luke said...

sorry. my post santa cruz, preseason write up is available for 'premium-plus' members. now for a small fee...

Anonymous said...

Is this where I jump on your strategies and summer league habits, AJ? The part about playing dump, and the part about playing O for Chain?
DAYUM, Alex, the Phil Mickelson of ultimate? Are we no longer Phil because WE won? or because HE won?